London Interactive

    Map Return to museumsindex page
 

The Covent Garden

 
 
tudor london map coventgarden area

During the middle ages the area become the convent garden of Westminster Abbey. Just north of Fleet Street - London's main thoroughfare.

But when King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in the 16th century, he took possession of all land belonging to the Church and gave the old Convent Garden to John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford.

The Earl of Bedford lived on the north side of the Strand which had long been built up with the mansion homes of Bishops and noblemen. In 1586 the 3rd Earl decided to move. He built Bedford House on what later became Southampton Street.

 

 

Next Inigo Jones & Covent Garden